Thursday, January 30, 2014

Flight Patterns, my latest Modern Quilt, will be in the AQS Lancaster, PA show

Flight Patterns will be in the AQS Lancaster, PA Show.


Flight Patterns, my latest Modern Quilt, has been accepted in the American Quilters Society show set for March 12-15, 2014 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The quilt will be in one of the newest AQS divisions, Modern Quilts. It is a semi-finalist with 173 other quilts spanning five categories.

I want to give a shout out to my son, Sam, who came up with the name, Flight Patterns, for this quilt. Sam is part of my computer support team for this blog because I have a better understanding of quilting than computer technology. So Sam and Daniel, my oldest, are often wrangled into helping with photography and other blog glitches that I will experience. Thanks guys.

While helping me enter the AQS contest Sam called me a "Hipster" because my quilt has fabric with birds on it. Sam said Hipsters put birds on everything and that birds are very popular right now.  Since then I have had to research exactly what being a "Hipster" entails. I have discovered that it is more than putting birds on things. It is what was once called "cutting edge, counter culture or off-beat." Okay Sam, I'll take that as a compliment.

The truth be told I started designing this quilt with the Japanese fabric bird print in the middle because, yes, I do love birds and I was attracted to the aqua color. From there the pattern evolved one round at a time. I stopped and re-evaluated before adding each round. I have added some close-ups of the quilting because this is the first time I have ventured into using a bit of metallic threads.



Metallic threads were used in the flying geese.
 I also used a variegated thread on the gray background that gave the quilt a dimensional look. The metallic threads were used in the flying geese designs as well as highlighting the birds in the Japanese fabric.
 
Close-up of the quilting.
 
I used my home sewing machine for all the piecing and quilting. The quilt measures 63"x63", a size that makes it easier to get the quilt under the throat of my machine.
 
 
The 16-patch has a quilted flower design.
 
 
 
For each quilt I make I always try a new technique and Flight Patterns is no exception. I find that each quilt I make is a learning process.
 
 
In January I have had time to get some UFO's completed as well as complete some gifts for nieces and nephews. I have several baby quilt tops that are in the "to be quilted" pile. After that I hope to create some more fun quilts with original designs.
 
In February want to feature quilts I purchased at  the three generations quilt auction in November. As soon as I get a good photo shoot day and some helpers to hold the quilts I will make that post.
 
 
 



5 comments:

  1. Hope you plan to go to the Lancaster Show to enjoy all the excitement surrounding this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the movement in this quilt & absolutely love that Japanese bird fabric! Your quilting looks amazing, great choice in threads & designs. As always, you are such a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your quilt winning! I'm so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, I love these colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!! My quilt took. Second place and I did get to go!

    ReplyDelete